Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday Night Catching Up

I've been traveling around quite a bit the last few days. There is so much to catch up on so here goes. I tried to upload some photos but the connection is too slow.
Friday
We left Kakamega early in the morning and drove through the rolling hills of sugar cane fields of Western Kenya to Busia Prison which is walking distance to Uganda (even for a mzungu). We visited with the officers that attended the CR introduction meeting held earlier this year then we trained them so they could start CR step study groups. They were so appreciative of the visit and are looking forward to starting their first CR group. 
We drove on to Bungoma to visit their prison.  Several of their officials had attended the same CR introduction meeting earlier this year.  In anticipation of our visit they assembled a good group for us to train to start step study groups. The “in charge” attended the whole seminar and was very eager to get started.
It began raining so hard as we were leaving Bungoma, we even had to pull over and wait a while because we could not see to drive.  It let up and we drove on to Kitale, reaching town just as it was getting dark.  I had a nice reunion with my friend Margaret who I am staying with then got some much needed rest.
Saturday
I had no scheduled meetings for the day for the first since being in Kenya. I had a late afternoon flight from Kitale to Nairobi for some scheduled meetings on Sunday.  I spent the morning with my 4 kids and we had a great time together.  I was finally able to reach the airline to confirm my flight to Nairobi (no one answered the phone the first few times I called) and they informed me that my flight was canceled and they were busing us to Eldoret (a 2 hour drive) to take a flight from there.  The bus was leaving in 10 minutes! Fortunately I was packed so they rushed me to town to catch the ride.  It’s a good thing I was able to reach them, otherwise I would have not been able to get to Nairobi for my meetings. So I arrived back in Nairobi.
Sunday
I attended church service at ICC (International Christian Centre) in Nairobi. They attended a seminar 2 years ago and have started a CR ministry.  After church I had lunch with the senior pastor, his wife, the associate pastor and his wife who is the head of the healing ministries. We had some great discussions about how to grow CR and reach more people.  They are very committed to CR and have a very good strategic plan for growing their ministry.  It’s exciting to see what God is doing in their church.
Monday
I got up very early and flew back to Eldoret.  My friend Rose from Prison Headquarters, Margaret and my 4 kids made the 2 hour drive from Kitale to meet my 8 am arriving flight. We went to Eldoret Women’s prison for 2 reasons. One, the mother of my kids is an inmate there. The only time they get to see her is when I am here and take them.  We had a great reunion with Nolega (their mom).  The other reason is to do some CR training.  We spent time with the staff visiting then held a training for some staff members to restart CR. The majority of inmates that had gone through it before have been released.  We trained some new staff how to start step study groups. Then we drove back to Kitale.
Please pray for energy for me, I’ve been going non-stop since arriving here. Pray for open doors for the meetings that God wants to happen during my time in Kitale this week. I have some plans, now we’ll see what God plans are.  Pray for my mother-in-law who is not doing well.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing journey!! We'll be praying for Michael's mom. God will give you exactly what you need and He'll also let you know when He wants you to rest - please listen to that as well as you listen when He says "Go"! Love & prayers, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I needed to take a nap after reading about your week!

    I now have a better understanding “hitting the ground running!”

    You are an amazing resource in God’s Army! Remember though, that peace and comfort come from God as well and that His will for your journey will be made more and more clear each day you are there. This trip is exactly where He wants you and you are “getting to” do exactly what He wants! We are praying for rest and for a full “battery charge” each night as you reflect on how God has used you each day! We are also praying that as you continue to provide for those who are hurting and for you to continue to be the conduit to changed lives for Jesus!

    What hope they must feel when you arrive and they see that we not only facilitate a ministry that works everywhere, we also care about them “getting the message” also.

    I t is not for us to keep, but for us to give away so that others can receive the same grace that our Heavenly Father offers freely to each one of us!

    God bless you as you continue to spread the Word of Healing and Reconciliation and of Forgiveness!

    John & Linda

    ReplyDelete