Thursday, October 17, 2013

Kenya Update

My time in Kenya was awesome, although it went by so quickly. In Nairobi I met with Prison officials, CR is growing in more prisons and continues to do well. My time was short so I was not able to visit any CR ministries while in Nairobi but spoke to some over the phone.  I also met with a transition center for ex-prisoners as they are released to help integrate them into the community. They are interested in starting CR so I connected them with some of the prisons in the area doing CR. We are considering completing the translation to Swahili.

In Kitale I reconnected with many friends and our God-children. Our 4 children are growing so much. Bryan is almost as tall as me at 11 years old. He's going to be a tall man. They are all doing very well in school with Calvin #1 in his class and Augustine #3. Elizabeth and Bryan started school late but are catching up with their age mates quickly.

We only visited one prison this time, Kitale Women's.  We had a God-inspired 3 hour program. The children's mother, Nolega, has been moved there so she is closer to the children.  She has 3 years left on her sentence.  After our program the senior officials approached me and told me the story of one little girl. Her name is Rose and she's 4 years old. Women prisoners can have 1 child stay with them in prison until the child is 4 then they have to go live with relatives. Rose has no relatives that will take her. Her future looks very grim and she would likely end up living on the streets  even if one of her relatives agreed to take her and the officials knew this. They asked me to take her to be with our other 4 children there. After prayer and talking to my husband, we agreed to take her. So now we have 5 Kenyan children!! They live in a house that we rent for a pastor and his family so they can be in a loving, Christian family and get a good Christian education.  God is full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment