Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday night in Kitengela

I am back in a small town close to Nairobi and the Internet connection is more reliable. There is more catching up to do.

Wednesday Margaret and I took the kids to see their mother in prison in Eldoret. She continues to do so well. Nolega was convicted of murder and sentenced to die, she was retried and her conviction was reduced to man-slaughter and she was given a sentence of 15 years to serve. She became the pastor of the women’s prison, started CR inside and is now given privileges to go into town unsupervised to purchase supplies for the prison. She is scheduled for release in December 2016 but is hoping for an early release because she has proven that she has truly reformed.


After spending time with their mother, we took Calvin, Brian, Augstine and Elzabeth (left to right) to a local zoo/park for the afternoon. There were animals from within Kenya like lions, monkeys, crocodiles, reptiles, ostriches, parrots, etc. There was a huge playground too. We really enjoyed our time together. We were so tired we all slept during the drive back to Kitale.

When not with my kids (they were in school) I visited with several church leaders and prison officials Kitale and the surrounding area. It was so good to hear stories of lives changing through CR. I was also able to visit with several friends in the area.

I saw my friend Geoffrey at Oasis of Hope, a center that helps street kids get off the street, back into school and have productive lives. They are having such an impact on these once forgotten and hopeless children.

This afternoon I flew from Kitale back to Nairobi in a 35 passenger plane then David met me and tool me to Kitengela on the outskirts of Nairobi. Tomorrow and Sudnay I will be training churches in the area on how to get their CR ministries going.

Thanks for all of your prayers. Other than a scratchy throat because of dusty roads, I am feeling well. Pray for the people attending the seminar tomorrow, that they will have open hearts and good ideas about how to move forward with CR. Pray for wisdom for me and the pastors and other church leaders who will be facilitating the training. Pray for renewed energy as I have been going at a pretty steady pace since arriving in Kenya.

2 comments:

  1. Jana - it's so exciting to read all that the Lord is doing there. Awesome to read how He is using you in the midst of it too. Cathy and I are excited for you and the Kingdom being setup there through CR. Praying for the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids have grown so much! They are so beautiful, and handsome. What a blessing it is to see a picture of them. What an amazing story all of you share.

    I am praying for you as Paul asked to be prayed for in Ephesians 6:19. I am praying that whenever you open your mouth, word may be given you so that you will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which you are an ambassador... I am praying that you may declare it fearlessly, as you should.

    I know that your next seminar will be just as amazing as the first was. God will give you the strength, energy, and voice to share your heart and experience with the people you meet.

    2 Chronicles 16:9 says For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.

    You have strong support, Jana. Your heart is completely His, He sees, and will strongly support you.

    You are in my prayers often.

    ReplyDelete