Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tuesday Night in Kitale

I’ve had limited Internet access so I have a lot of catching up to do since my last post on Friday night.

Saturday
We visited 3 prisons for the first time in Western Kenya - Kakamega Main for men, Kakamega Women’s and Shikusa Farm Prison. At Kakamega Main we met in the prison yard with several hundred men, from those in Remands (not convicted) to those who have been condemned (sentenced to death) from all denominations. They we very eager to learn about Celebrate Recovery and excited to be starting it later this year when we come back and train their prison officials.

We visited the women’s prison and were warmly welcomed by beautiful singing. They sang several songs and I can still hear their sweet voices praising our Lord. CR was started there a few years ago by a chaplain friend who attended a CR seminar in Kitale. She trained some leaders (inmates) to carry it out. Most have since been released and they are excited to getting it going again on a broader scale and with more support.

We visited Shikusa Farm Prison and met with some of the CR leaders (inmates) to discuss how it was going. They have about 150 men attending the Large Group teachings. CR was started there recently by a chaplain friend who was transferred from Kitale Main Prison where CR originally started. They will be starting their first step study group very soon. We met with many of the 500 men that reside in this prison and heard testimonies from some of the men that have already started CR.
It is amazing to see how God is spreading this ministry in the prisons by either transferring prisoners from one place to another or by relocating prison officials. CR is changing so many lives and truly rehabilitating men and women during this challenging time in their lives.

Bishop Moses and I made the 2+ hour drive to Kitale through beautiful countryside. It was nice to see my friends again and settle in at my friend’s house where I am staying this week.

Sunday
Sunday morning we attended church and spent time reconnecting with friends and family. I had a wonderful reunion with my 4 God-children. They have grown so much and their English had gotten very good so we can communicate easily now. We had a wonderful day of relaxing and enjoying spending time together.

Monday
I met with some churches and encouragd some along with their progress with CR and with others that are interested in starting it. It was great to hear how CR is impacting people’s lives and helping churches by providing a way of healing for church members. It is bringing reconciliation and hope to many.

I visited Purpose Driven High School which was opened since I was here last year. I spoke to the students and encouraged their education. In the afternoon I took my kids shopping for new shoes, always a special time when we are together.

Tuesday
Today it was back to prison. I visited Kitale Main and Women’s prison. Many of the men’s CR group members that were here last year have been released. Two of the former CR leaders are now pastors and have started their own churches outside, with CR at the very core of the church. Inside, the men’s CR ministry is growing again with over 60 men attending Large Group meetings. They are starting a new Step Study group very soon.

The women’s prison is always a special place to visit for me. That is where my God-son was born. It is so heartbreaking to see so many children in prison with their mothers, up to the age of 4. Yet at least they get to be with their mothers when they are so young. There has been a real turnover of inmates which is good, that means they are not staying inside that long. We heard testimonies from 2 women that murdered their husbands. They are finding peace and healing.

In the afternoon I met with another church with CR. Through CR they have an amazing outreach into the villages and so many lives have been transformed. Prostitutes are now seamstresses, drug addicts are learning computer skills. They are finding healing and hope for a different life.

Tomorrow I take my God-children to Eldoret (about a 2 hour drive each way) to visit their mother who is in prison. They have not seen her since I was here last and they are very eager to see her. I am looking forward to spending the day with them.

Thanks so much for your continuing prayers. Please pray for travel mercies for tomorrow as we journey over less than ideal roads to Eldoret. Pray for a wonderful reunion with their mother. Pray for a fun day with the kids. Pray for my health, I still have a scratchy throat on and off but it seems to be getting worse with some dry coughing now. I have been talking non-stop since arriving in Kenya plus it is hot and dusty so that doesn’t help either.

1 comment:

  1. It is truly amazing what God can do with a willing servant who spreads His Truth to others, who become willing servants themselves. Ripples on the water, growing wider and wider. Your obedience to His direction those many years ago is having an unbelievable impact. God is so good and can do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine. Your trip is evidence of that. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete