Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thursday Evening

We have a bit of catching up to do so this is a long post. I was too tired last night to post so we have two full days to catch up on.

Wednesday morning Michael continued his work with ICM while I went into town and bought a few things to take to the prison - exercise books, pens and some toiletries for the women. I attended morning chapel with friends at ICM before Michael and I headed to prison.

We went into the men's prison, the first place in Kenya where Celebrate Recovery started over 5 years ago. It was Michael's first time in prison and he was a bit anxious going in. It made him grateful for what we have in the US when he recognized what little these men have. They have no beds and sleep on the ground or cement floor, some have blankets, they have rags for clothes, many are without shoes. He was surprised to see so many smiling faces singing with joy for the Lord.

They planned a very special program in honor of Michael being there. We heard awesome worship and many testimonies of lives changed through CR. A couple of inmates shared poems that they had written about how CR has changed their lives. One was entitled "Celebrate Recovery, my best friend." The chaplains were so appreciative toward Michael for him sending his wife to Kenya to minister to the prisoners and what a wonderful job I had been doing here. It was almost embarrassing for me. Michael encouraged them to continue CR and how proud he was of them for being the pioneers of CR in Kenya that has now spread to many prisons across the country. They presented Michael with a beautiful beaded belt with the Kenyan flag emblem and colors and me matching earrings, a bracelet and necklace. I think this visit helped Michael to understand what an impact our visits have made here. It was an awesome experience for Michael and very moving. Pretty cool for me too.

Michael had to return to work with ICM and I went into the women's prison. There are many new women there now and the original CR group has all left. It was so encouraging to meet Lydia, the new CR leader, and to learn the program is continuing and changing lives. The women were filled with so much joy. They sang and performed a drama for me about the prodigal son. It was really powerful. One woman shared that when she heard I was coming that she told all of the new women that they were getting toiletries because when I come I bring things that the prison does not provide. I shared my testimony and encouraged them to continue CR. I heard how CR was bringing them peace and freedom, even behind bars. We passed out the few toiletries and then they got me to dance with them for a while. It was a lot of fun for all of us.

After the time in prison I spent quite a while visiting with the chaplains and the officer in charge (warden). I brought a few photos from our visit earlier this year and they were so excited to have them. I got to meet Pastor Edward's wife Jennifer who is a prison officer now. They all pass their greetings to those that have been there before. It was a great time of deepening friendships.

Late in the afternoon Michael and I spent some time with our kids. It was a wonderful. Even though we speak different languages it was so nice just being together and connecting.

Ok now to today - Michael went back to ICM to continue his work there. I spoke for about an hour at the Women of Purpose and Destiny conference at Deliverance Church Kitale, the first place I ever gave my testimony. I talked about CR (of course) and shared my story of how I came to know God's purpose for my life. God was definitely at work at that conference, the energy was amazing.

I visited Kitale Pentecostal Church, who attended the CR seminar in March. I have known the senior pastor and some of the associates for about 5 years and they were so excited to be fully trained in CR. I met with the senior pastor and 3 associate pastors and answered many of their questions about challenges they have faced in starting CR. Their program is coming along very well and they are on track to establish a solid model for CR for this region of the country.

I spent much of the rest of the day hanging out with my kids. Brian (the oldest at 9) was not feeling well and was diagnosed with Malaria while I was there today. Fortunately he got treatment so he will be fine in a couple of days. So many people across Africa die from malaria because they cannot afford the $3 for medication.

It's been a wonderful few days here in Kitale. Tomorrow we have the follow up meeting for those that attended the CR seminar in March. Pray that people will come and not be distracted because the day has been recently declared a national holiday. Pray that it will be an encouraging time for those already starting CR or planning to start it. Pray for Brian as he recovers from malaria.

4 comments:

  1. God continues to unfold His amazing plan. What an amazing, emotional time you had at Kitale Main prison. What an honor for Michael, and you, too. I know the faces, the smiles, and the joy, and the environment. What an incredible testimony of God's presence, his mercy, grace and peace. The seeds you have planted are growing and bearing fruit. What an amazing God we serve.

    You bring God's blessings, light, hope and a few toiletries to the women at the prison. In return, what an impact they have had on our lives. Keep dancing, Jana!

    Enjoy your home away from home and send my greetings to all our friends there. Hello to the kids. I'll pray for Brian to recover quickly.

    I know that your follow up meeting will be a success. Just the right people will be there and you'll be the encouragement and support they need to move forward with CR. Make your plans and then leave them in the van. It will be a wonderful day and you'll leave stronger and more excited than when you arrive.

    Small group will be praying for you tonight so sleep well and wake refreshed and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I wish I could have seen the look on Michael’s face upon entering the prison for the first time. I have a feeling it would be like looking in the mirror.

    “Shock and awe” come to mind as pretty good words to use! Michael, look at it this way, you went to prison, were changed, and you left – and oh-yeah there’s more… and only you and God are aware of the impact on you and the impact you have had on so many.

    The impact of your trip will be with you for a lifetime and I look forward to hearing about your experience. Thank you for saying yes to God’s yes for this journey and for the way you were honored for your unselfishness in supporting Jana and all the work she does and has done and will do in Kenya!

    Sorry to hear about Brian. Please let him know that we are praying for him for this case of malaria to be mild and for a speedy recovery.

    In my Bible study this morning, I was studying the book of 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 – “Be joyful always; Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; do not treat prophesies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, should and body be kept blameless at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.”

    Just a reminder that we all get to experience God’s love, mercy and grace in so many ways and sometimes we forget that it is ok to be joyful even when times are challenging.

    We will continue to pray for your health and for those who will be coming to the “Follow-up” session. Please pass along “greetings and a big Asante-sana” from the US. And a simple word of encouragement to those who have started CR are getting ready to start CR or have yet to start that we are praying for a revival in Kenya with Jesus Christ as the leader and Celebrate Recovery as the tool.

    God bless you in all you do this day,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't read these stories and comment without crying. I can almost feel God working with you two and this trip
    I too can relate to my first visit to Kitale prison, it was quite the welcome (smelly). However I too can see the smiling faces, hear the singing and feel their welcomes. What joy!
    I will continue to pray for all your needs on this trip. Your son Brian is at the top of my list.
    May the two of you continue to grow and spread joy while you are there.
    Have a blessed day.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Habari Michael & Jana! I feel like I have one foot in Kitale right now and all of my heart.

    Believe it or not, I was kind of speechless (in a good way) after I read the blog. A long SELAH as the Psalms call it. All the hopes and fears, all the joys and grief, all the victories and struggles have meant something.

    To arrive at the prison with Michael 5 years later and see the very hand of God so clearly at work - well, it's just so moving.

    Michael, thank you for going. May God bless you and enrich your life in ways that you can not even imagine. May this trip continue to impact you for the rest of your life. Whoa...Yes!

    Jana, love you my sis-in-Christ. I would like to write more, but I am just happily praising God right now and am pausing in thanks.

    God is good.

    All the time.

    ReplyDelete